Thursday, 24 May 2007


After weeks of indecision, talking with family, teachers and friends, I have finally decided to resign from school with the aim of being placed by VSO in September. Right up to the last, it seems to have been 50:50. Both staying at school, and volunteering both appeal.

I handed in my letter of resignation this morning. The staff and governors were told. We have been told to keep it confidential until decisions have been made about other matters.

Monday, 21 May 2007

Maldives cancelled but Ethiopia Offer

Unfortunately, the Maldives has been accepted by the couple. Bit dissapointing, but I have recieved an offer for a place called Gilgel Beles in NW Ethiopia. Sounds interesting.

Thursday, 17 May 2007

Maldives offer

This isn't a firm offer. A couple might get it. Sounds idyllic though, and a remote desert island with 1500 people. Although of course Maldives is about the 80th in the list of poor countries and although it has the posh, exclusive tourist resort islands, there is a lot of poverty on some of the others where even meat is difficult to obtain and you drink rain water collect from your roof.

Wednesday, 16 May 2007

Ghana offer

I have been offered a placement as a teacher trainer / gender officer in Tamale, Ghana. It's to do with running a programme to promote education for girls (who get a raw deal in lots of developing countries as they are needed at home.)

Looking at the weather site, it says it is 39ÂșC each day this week!!!

Tamale is a pretty town / city and I don't really want that. I want to be remote.

Tuesday, 1 May 2007

CV on the database

I've sent my CV to Eva (my placement advisor) and it's going on the VSO database today. Hopefully I will be matched to a placement soon.