Friday 29 June 2007

Inoculations

Went to the nurse after school today to find out about which inoculations I need, and when. I will need Hepatitis A & B, Typhoid, Rabies and Yellow Fever. She also said that one of the antimalarial tablets I will have to take every day of the two years in Ethiopia can cost £20 per week. Also the common side effects of one lot called "mefloquine" are: headache, abdominal pain, diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, loss of balance, sleep disorders, abnormal dreams... and those are just the common side effects. Sounds good. She said a patient she knew about basically went a bit crazy on the pills. The list of uncommon side effects include: anxiety, hallucinations, paranoia, convulsions, rare reports of suicidal tendencies... oh, and one that is not so worry for me... "hair loss". Sounds like fun. She recommended a different medication.

To my surprise I had two shots tonight... one in each arm!

No comments: