Wednesday 26 December 2007

Christmas Day in Gilgel Beles

I got up at 06:15 (as usual), had banana and biscuit breakfast (as usual) and set off for college at around 07:45 (as usual). I said Merry Christmas to a group of students on the way and also to my Line Manager who took me to the on-site café and I had buna (coffee) and a sambusa. Then in my office I prepared for my lesson in the afternoon and also called a few VSO volunteers for a Christmas chat. All of them were having a few days off and had done, or were about to do a bit of travelling. (To be honest I've always wanted to be at work on Christmas Day to see what it was like.) On the way to the shintabet (toilet) I saw the thickest trail of ants I have seen so far,
probably around 5cm wide and 2-3cm high. Later I walked up to the post office and was really pleased to get 7 letters and cards, a food treats parcel with Haribo Star Mix and some instant soups and cappuccinos etc and a parcel of DVDs Dad had sent me (including episodes of "Heroes" he's been recording for me. I received episode 22 last week but the package of 19, 20 & 21 which was sent about 2 weeks before that hadn't arrived – until today, which was good for Christmas.) I went back to "work" and read the letters, opened the cards etc

At lunchtime, I had a phone call from mum and dad and a friend rang straight afterwards. I ate my usual sambusa and doughnut that I put jam inside and watched some of "Heroes". Just before returning to work I had a mild dose of the "two bob's" which was nice for Christmas, but thankful up until now (20:00) the only dose!

In the afternoon I listened to the nine Christmas-related tracks (all I could find) on my MP3 player (including two versions of "walking in the air", John Lennon's "Merry Christmas – War is Over" and "Closing of the Year" – from "Toys" which some readers will recognise as the song I scored for the choir to sing last Christmas in Heathfield.) I also talked to some students who'd come to visit the model classroom and I'm sure I did some other work-related stuff…

At 16:00 I took my second English lesson with a group of trainee teachers being as active as I could, using my best teaching methodology, referring to always teaching by getting pupils to see, hear and most importantly do. In fact, picture this: Christmas Day, sunny, temperature around 30C and me teaching about fifty 20 year olds "Heads, Shoulders, Knees and Toes" (with actions!)

After that it was back on with the MP3 player on a loop while planning the next lesson and tidying up in the office. I left around 1800 – the sun was about 15mins from setting, lots of bugs were flying in the air (as usual.)

Back at home, I started a fire to burn the soft (toilet paper) which was probably a good idea (see lunchtime paragraph) and also burned some rubbish that the family just seem to tip into the bushes. Then it was into my kitchen (a.k.a. cupboard) and had tinned tuna chunks and baked beans for Christmas Dinner, followed by chocolate porridge using the last of my oats and a packet of instant chocolate drink.

In a few minutes I will be having a shower (a.k.a. big bowl and flannel) followed by more "Heroes" which I will watch for about 30mins after taking my Doxycycline (anti-malarial) – you can't lie down for that long after taking it, or it inflames your throat.

Then bed to continue reading "Red Mars."

And that was my Christmas Day in Gilgel Beles, Ethiopia.

No comments: