Thursday 6 March 2008

Training, the weather and scary nedj

I’ve done two training sessions in two schools in two days to a total of 32 teachers at the moment on number fans and counting sticks. Today’s was really enjoyable as there was a good rapport between us and the teachers. That was after waiting outside the college entrance from 1pm until leaving on the college bus (which was delayed then ran out of fuel) at around 2.30pm. We arrived at the school at 2.45pm for a 2pm training session!!

At the end, the bus was due to collect us by 1700 at the latest (I’m really having to think about these times now. I was thinking 11:00 which is 5pm in Ethiopian time) and at 12:00 still nothing, eventually it arrived at about 18:30. Apparently the fuel filter was blocked – probably after running it right out of fuel and churning up the dregs!

It was fun waiting this time as we talked to the teachers (who live in little mud houses in a piece of land next to the school) and then waited on the street and had lots of children out as an audience watching me. They were really funny as they were scared of me. When I took a step forward, some ran away! (Also a baby started crying!) Eventually I got some of them to shake my hand. (Nedj means “white” – white person in this case –thus I was a scary nedj)

We have six other schools (transport permitting) in the next two weeks, then we start again with the next lot of training.

Weather

It is very dry at the moment. All the little brooks have dried up and my hydrometer or hygrometer (I always get mixed up with them) is showing between 25 and 30% humidity which is well below the UK in summer. These temperatures and humidities are like a free tumble-drier for washing, but are probably bad for my throat, and also, for the first time since I have been here, photos on my wall are starting to curl. I would’ve thought damp would’ve done that, but it seems dryness does.

No comments: