Friday 6 March 2009

Doing some good!

It seems to be working well with the two Woreda guys. They have seen me teach actively and I have got them to teach some lessons to younger children in the local school and given them feedback. I have also been teaching them some computer skills.

My favourite project at the moment, started this week is twice weekly sessions for ten grade 2 students (about 8 or 9 years old) who are less able at maths. I have been teaching them, with the help of translation from the guys, and also the class teacher is in watching. At first we checked their basic skills and have had to go right back to one digit addition. I have introduced using bottle tops as counters and also number lines to help them count-on. I realise how much I enjoy teaching, and this is good all round as it is part of the training for the two guys, training for the class teacher and is also helping the ten children.

I also, within the week, will have one of my recorder players starting to teach younger children. Hopefully this will continue next year, when I am gone.

Sometimes I get a praying mantis sitting on the netting covering my window and a couple of times in the morning a bird has suddenly flown up and eaten the mantis straight off the net. Last night was a first: I was just sitting there watching a movie on my laptop and knew another mantis was on the net when suddenly something flew up and did the same thing. This time it wasn’t a bird… it was a bat.

No comments: