Friday 3 April 2009

VSO, CPD and other acronyms

I had a visit from my VSO program manager today. It went well and he visited the recorder and maths lessons, although there were only three students in the maths lesson – we found out this was because a young girl had been shot last night and the school had been closed in the morning. We discussed my work and future plans for the college and any future VSO volunteers.

Before that, the two woreda reps and I had visited some of the schools to check on the CPD programme progress. Some schools find it very hard to start and they make all sorts of excuses as to why they hadn’t when we get there. You know they’re stalling when you ask the first question “which session are you at” and they mention a page number in the book because they say they are not sure - A low page number that I know is round about the first session!

I made a really bad decision at one school, mainly because I was getting bored. One head was moaning that they needed note books (4ETB each – about 20p) to keep a record of the work they do on the CPD program for career development and in a moment of weakness (and to make them shut up about the books) I gave them 50ETB to buy a book each for the teachers on the promise they get a receipt so I can get the money back from the college.

The repercussions could be enormous – every school in the region asking every ferengi for money to buy books… we’ll see. At least I didn’t just say it was from me, and that I would get the money back from the college when I get the receipt from them.

It’s now less than 100 days until I return home and next week I will have been in Ethiopia for a total of 500 days.

No comments: