Thursday 30 August 2007

Inoculations part 5 and Wealden VSO Lunch

This morning I had my final inoculations, rabies number 3 and Hepatitis B number 3. Unlike last time, no bleeding on either arm! The rabies one is interesting as it only slows down the disease if you get bitten by anything. The advice is, even if you're not bitten but just licked by a mammal on cracked skin, to go and get the treatment. For me, in somewhere that isn't on a map, that might mean that if I get licked by a dog on a sore hand, I'm technically supposed to go on a 6 day round trip to Addis to get treatment. Would you do it?

In the afternoon I went to the local Wealden VSO group's fundraising lunch. I met lots of people there including some Returned Volunteers (RVs) who had done VSO work in the past. One lady had been on three different placements since retirement. There was a good buffet which I stocked up on and entertainment was provided by a live jazz group. My car was noticeably the oldest one there, but it was made up for by the fact that I was the youngest person there!!! (I'd better be careful what I say, as I was handing out cards with this blog address on it, so I don't know who'll be reading it and I'm hoping that some of the people may donate more to VSO, perhaps using the link on the right to my fundraising web page!!!) Thanks again to the hosts for the food and company, and I'll keep the group updated with my progress during the two years. Watch this space.

2 comments:

Mike/Barbara said...

I am pleased to be the first person to post a comment on your blog, Mark.
We wish you a successful and enjoyable two years in Ethiopia and we will follow your progress with interest.
Follow ours at http://mandbk.blogspot.com/
Mike and Barbara

Mike/Barbara said...

We are very impressed by your fundraising. We have a clean sheet at present. We are waiting for an eccentric millionaire to accidentally hit our blog while he is surfing. Good luck with your posting.
Mike and Barbara