Sunday 26 August 2007

Lakes and Blackpool

As part of my tour around the coast (of Britain and Ireland) I have just returned from the North West of England. After my SKWID course I went to the Lake District. I stayed in Windermere and visited lots of the coast from Maryport to Whitehaven to Grange-over-sands (look them up on a map!)- drove along two very steep and narrow passes (Hard Knott and Wrynose) near sunset - amazing views of the hills and valleys. I Climbed a small hill with 360 degree views including Lake Windermere, and also walked around a nature area at the southern tip of Walney Island (near Barrow-in-Furness.) On the last day there, I kayaked on Coniston Water where I visited two small islands in the middle of the lake.

Next, I went South to Blackpool. I stayed about 5km from the town where it was less "glitsy" and noisy! I had a good day just walking along from my hotel, out on all three piers and along to a giant mirror ball passed the pleasure beach with its giant roller coaster. In all, I estimate I walked about 15 miles, finishing with a walk along a massive sandy beach on the north end near my hotel as the sea came in (it comes in very quickly as the sand is fairly flat.)

I'm really going to miss the sea when I go to Ethiopia. I love visiting all coastal places whether natural, rocky, sandy, ports, dodgy seaside resorts etc.

No comments: