Tuesday 25 September 2007

The Last Day (and problem 3)!

This is probably my last UK Blog entry - I fly tomorrow. I was hoping to have everything ready by now and have a nice quiet day, but everything is all over the floor and I am in the process of last minute sorting and packing. Hopefully I have everything!

Remember the TV and car problems, well last night I had the third problem which was/is a little larger. With only one day to go, the Hard disk drive on my laptop has failed. On the plus side I have all of my photos and most of my other files backed up. The big problem is time. Assuming I have a computer working later today (see below) to reinstall the operating system and the various programs I use will take longer than the time I have. Also, all the driver CDs are all over the place, some drivers I need to get over the Internet - it's a massive job.

I now have two options:

1: Try and get a replacement HDD from PC World and re-install the OS which in itself with all the updates needed will take 2-4 hours, will negate my extended warranty etc then transfer data back to it, re-install programs etc, as many as I can in the time.

2: Buy a new, cheap (£500) laptop which will have the OS on it already and install as much as I can on it. Then my expensive laptop can be sent back and repaired for when I get home.

I need a laptop to deal with my photos, sending messages home, reading documents I have on DVD etc. The only worse case scenario would've been if it had broken in two day's time.

What a nightmare!

No comments: