Thursday 18 September 2008

Back in Gilgel Beles

This blog entry means I have internet access (albeit dial-up) at the college.

The journey here was not too bad. A bit of hassle at the bus station as I was white, the minibus was a little uncomfortable, but the college car was waiting for me at Kosober and it was a smooth journey home.

It must’ve just rained when I arrived as there was basically a lake between my house and the college which I had to paddle through. There is about a month left before it stops.

I have spent yesterday and today meeting people again, checking the post office (three months-worth of National Geographic!) and going around Gilgel. It feels very easy switching back into “Gilgel mode”. The only problem is the guy who has the key to my kitchen/store room is away so I’m locked out. The room is where all my food, water filter, buckets, bowls, jugs, cups etc – basically all my stuff I locked away before I left as some people used my bedroom while I was away. He is hopefully arriving tomorrow, when I’ll be able to have a proper wash using the bowl and start washing some clothes.

The climate is hot and sticky. Having come from the pleasant 21C 70% humidity in Addis, it’s now around 25C and 80%.

On the work front, I have a couple of weeks before the schools go back to sort things out. The biggest problem so far is that the two counterparts I was promised to work with have not materialised and probably won’t, which is a big blow as I would’ve been able to get a lot more done and really felt like I was doing what VSO is all about and passing on my skills.

Oh well – be flexible!!!

The power was off for about 2 hours last night and some of the door handles in the new classrooms block in the college have snapped. How cheap does the metal (if it is even metal) have to be for that to happen?

No comments: