Monday 22 September 2008

Going downhill (already!!)

Well the electricity has been off for two 18 hours stretches in the last two days. It’s back to candles and kerosene stove for cooking.

The baby is really getting annoying – as I mentioned before, every time I open a door he’s in there, and with urine-soaked feet and a potential to poo at anytime, it’s a nightmare. Also, all I hear is the mother or sister saying “abbi na… abbi na” which means “baby come here” every time he wanders near to something he shouldn’t. It gets grating when you hear it over and over again.

I also discovered that all my work on the Graduate publication before I left was pretty much a waste of time: the print shop couldn’t use the Microsoft Publisher format I used (as instructed) and the preview prints were basically scanned in (at low quality) and re-done in a garish format. It looks pretty rubbish really.

On the good side, I’ve been out walking in my favourite places. The river at this time of year (towards the end of the rainy season is very high and fast flowing. It’s amazing seeing rocks that were 2m out of the water that I climbed on before, now completely submerged.)

I had my first pancake session last night, starting with a tuna pancake, followed by a lemon and sugar, then a maple syrup one! (I had to buy some new flour, my old tin of flour is like a zoo full of weevils (black adults and white larvae worms!)

There doesn’t seem to be nearly as many insects and bugs around as last year. Maybe in the rainy season there is plenty of food outside and they don’t need to come in.

No comments: