Wednesday 13 May 2009

Sign Language Lessons + training

Had another sign language lesson on Monday for Jemal (who has total hearing loss) and his friends. It’s funny as I forget to speak and ran the whole session through gestures and signs (as I can’t speak Amharic) so it actually means all of the children are at the same level with me, including Jemal.

Here is a photo of them signing the first four letters in American Sign Language. It’s going well because the class teacher is practicing with them back at the school.

Also, my MS Office training on Friday went like this:

Of the 25 instructors due to come, 11 came. The session was due to run from 14:00 to 18:00. Three instructors were present at 14:00 and the rest dribbled in until the last one at 14:30. At 15:40 I was advised that half of them had to teach now, so they left, and I was left teaching five!

This is a pretty typical scenario in Ethiopia!

I now plan to put up a poster / tell the heads this kind of thing:

I am happy to teach you, but you have to sort yourselves out, organise the session yourselves and tell me when you want me to come.

Additional: There were little rat footprints in the dust on the table yesterday morning! The dust in the air has now cleared.



No comments: