Saturday 13 October 2007

Line Taxis, Food and Begging

On Thursday I had a phonecall from my school. It was great to hear
from them. Some children asked questions, the first one being "What
are the differences between Ethiopia and England" - a nice easy one to
start with! Apparently the conversion was on a speaker phone. It was recorded,
then played to all the children in the different classes which was
brilliant. Hopefully I will be able to do another "live link" when I
come back to Addis for training in November.

Saturday 13th, October: I have been in Addis today, using the line
taxis to get to different places. They are minibuses and you listen to
where they are going (usually a man or boy shouts where they are going
and drums up business.) Then you get on and on the way they drop off
and pick up other people. It costs no more than two birr (10p) to get
anywhere in the city and often a lot less for shorter journeys.

You really have to get used to driving in Addis. Cars, trucks and vans
come at you from all over the place. I'm surprised there are not more
accidents. Most junctions do not have traffic lights and it's
basically a free-for-all and everyone just pushes in.

First, I went to Piazza which has some electrical shops. Whilst there
a young man attached himself to me and said he wanted to practise his
English. Then he got onto needing to improve his English and how books
and a laptop would help. I made it clear I had no money to give him
and couldn't help him with sponsorship, but he followed me onto a line
taxi and eventually gave me his email address then got off. It's very
hard not to be sceptical and assume people are trying to scam you or
ask for money. He could well have just been trying to get on in life
and improve his English.

I visited some supermarkets and got a chocolate bar. Then I remembered
it is rude to eat while walking on the street so put it in my pocket.
Unfortunately it was showing and within seconds two children were
pointing and asking for it. I broke off a bit and gave it to a girl.
So far I have adopted a "no begging" policy - if you had to decide
each time whether the cause was worthy or not you would go mad with
guilt. Also, although this is a horrible comparision, just like
throwing food to a pigeon and loads more fly in, if you give to begger
one, you will be immediately a target for others. It's not really
very bad here. Most beggars are sitting and just hold out a hand,
those that do follow you only need one "no" and they go.

I stocked up on a few supplies. I'm starting to think birr prices, but
it's hard not to convert to English. I had a coffee followed by a coke
in a roof-top cafe with table service and it cost 7 birr (35p.)

Tonight I will pack, and tomorrow I will go to a hotel near the VSO
Office in Addis. Then on Monday I will fly to Bahir Dah (by the giant
lake) and if all goes to plan, Gilgel Beles college will send a car to
pick me up and drive the 5 hour journey to the college. When the Dean
and Vice Dean visited on Monday, they showed me their driver. He
studied me intently, and afterwards the Dean said the driver was
looking at me carefully as he finds it difficult to tell Chinese
people appart!!!!

No comments: