Friday 18 January 2008

Rain!

After several months we actually had some rain this evening!

Before I get to that, the team of 13 students I had "employed" have produced 1400 number fans in about 5 days. On Wednesday I paid them out of my own pocket (about half my months wages gone!) Quite a feat getting all the change I needed when there is no bank in the town. I have already given the two local schools 200 fans each to use with the children during lessons, and we will distribute more as we do training with the other schools in the cluster. I am trying to get my money back from our unit's budget, but it could be more red tape than it's worth!

I taught again at the local primary school. I think it was the only teaching they got today as their teacher is away ill and I don't think Ethiopia does "cover teachers." A group of about ten followed me to the college gate carrying my bag of teaching aids and posters for me (singing "London's burning and one two "tie" my shoe.")

Back to the rain...

On Tuesday and this morning the sky had been overcast first thing, which was really weird as every other day I've been here, I've walked to work in bright sun with clear blue skies. Anyway, later in the day, as I walked home near sunset, I noticed some very dark clouds in the North East. A bit later, after I'd eaten tea and it was pretty much dark, there was a lot of wind outside and I could hear thunder in the distance. Then the power went off and I went outside. It was quite exciting as there were some large gusts of wind (which also blew dust unfortunately) and bright lightning flashes across the sky. I just stood there in the "road" outside our house, being blown by the wind. The guard came over shining his torch, wondering what I was doing. He laughed when he saw it was "The Ferengi". It started spitting and went on to get heavier. It was great having the cool rain on my face. I stayed out until I was quite wet. I guess the other people in the street will be gossiping about the "crazy ferengi" tomorrow!

No comments: