Monday 12 January 2009

Mouse, Power and joke

This is an Ethiopian joke someone told me about the English language. It works best spoken, but I will try and tell it written:

Two teachers are arguing about the pronunciation of the word “knife”. One insists it is pronounced ‘nife’ and the other ‘Ker-nife.’ In order to settle their dispute, they go to the school director (head teacher) and explain the situation.

The director replies, “well, I’m afraid you are both wer-rong…”

Mouse

We’ve had a little friend in the house for a couple of weeks. A little mouse with a body size of about 5cm. He’s been in my room nibbling on a box and sitting next to Göran on his bed while he was lying there. The funniest thing was one night when we heard a tapping noise and finally discovered it was the mouse. It had found some pasta tubes and the only way it could move them was to grab them in its teeth and leap across the floor in little bounds – each time making the tapping noise as the pasta hit the ground.

Power

I still think it is funny when the power comes back on at night after being off for a few hours because out of my window I hear cheering coming from the prison. Every time there is cheering. It happens in the village too.

No comments: