Monday 9 March 2009

Heat

It’s amazing the temperature here. As I write this at 6pm the outside temperature is 35°C – and that’s after it’s been mostly overcast all afternoon. So far, my data logger has registered 39°C as the maximum temperature in the shade and that was about a week ago. The average temperature (averaged over the whole 24 hours – so includes night temperature) went from a low of 21°C in December to around 29°C at the moment. So to restate that: the average temperature, including the overnight lows is around 29°C.

Last night was interesting. At around 2000, there was a very strong wind (which is rare here) and the temperature shot up about 3°C to around 35°C. I guess it was a weather front, but to stand outside at night and be blasted by almost body temperature gusts is very strange. Also strange, and something that makes you realise how hot it actually is, is when you touch things at the moment: they are warm to the touch. Maybe in the UK, if something has been in the sun, you expect it to feel warm of hot, but when you touch the door handle here which has been in the shade all day and it feels hot, or a mug which feels like it’s come out of the dish washer, it is very weird.

I have adapted quite well. I notice I am sweating, but I’m not really aware of how hot the air is, that’s why it comes as a surprise when all the surfaces and objects are hot.

I’m glad I have access to a fridge this year (when the power is on!)

No comments: