Monday 3 March 2008

Training, Rich Italians and bowls

On Thursday we went to 7 of the 10 schools to book up training dates for them - the letters having pretty much failed. A couple were annoyed because we didn't show previously but that was beyond my control: I wrote a letter in English asking the schools for four dates when they could do training, and we would get back to them with a firm date when we sorted out a schedule. Well apparently something went wrong in translation as they sent back single dates when they expected us, some of which were when I was in Bahir Dar. Well not only could I not understand the replies, but I wasn't even there. You would've thought someone would've done something about it, but no. Anyway, the next three weeks are going to be quite busy as I will be
training in 8 schools (the other one we got a date from on Friday.) I will be accompanied by my "counterpart" who, in theory should be leading the sessions by the end so he can do it alone when I leave.

During Thursday, we had to return to the college mid-school visit as an Italian who had donated some money for a nearby building project was visiting the college. I showed him the model classroom before he continued his tour followed by all the college staff, it seemed. I found out
afterwards he name was Selene or something and he is the 33rd richest person in the world!!!

Saturday, started my washing just after seven and having now sussed the whole pre-wash thing with trousers and socks which pick up the dust and make the water go brown very quickly, I had a disaster when my big bowl fell on the floor and cracked. Now remember this is my bath as well as my washing tub and they only get them intermittently in Gilgel shops. It's not like the UK when you just drive to the supermarket and get a new one. Anyway, luckily the local shop did have one, but it's not like the luxurious 56cm diameter one I had before, it's actually 51cm and those 5cm make all the difference when you're trying to wash your whole body. I hope they get new ones soon!

In other news:

I've had a sore throat the last few days and felt a bit weird - in-fact I've been a bit bunged up since Bahir Dar.

Last night there were masses of mozzies about. As I went out of my room I could hear the cacophony of whining. The toilet was inundated so I gave a squirt of "Roach Killer" and returned a while later, cross-legged. It's one of those big decisions you have to make doing VSO: Wetting yourself, or getting Malaria!!!

No comments: