Friday 21 March 2008

Wrong day

Well Maulid turned out to be yesterday (Thursday) – something to do with The Moon rising over Mecca.

The thing I can’t understand (and I hope I don’t get a fatwa for this) is that scientists (and even my astronomy program I have on my computer) can predict the position of The Moon in the sky from any place on Earth and at any time from a couple of thousand years into the past and the same into the future. So, why is it that the people in Ethiopia don’t know whether the holiday is Wednesday or Thursday (and this is me asking on Tuesday.)

Anyway, I had a good walk on the wrong day, and on the correct day, I went in to work and made some teaching aids ready for the training next week. All I can hope is that the teachers in the school we were supposed to train yesterday didn’t turn up. There was no car to take me and the only phone number I had was for a shop in the wrong village!

Also, referring back to my previous entry about moon gods – the Christians and Muslims may not pray to a moon god, but they do base their religious days on it. (Christians – Easter.)

Anyway – now to find out if we train today or not…

No comments: