Tuesday 18 September 2007

France

For the last five days I have been in France staying with two teachers and their family. I met them through the link my school had about four years ago. Since then I have visited them with and without my class in tow on several occasions.



On Friday, I visited both of their schools to tell their classes about my trip to Ethiopia or Éthiopie (Ay-tay-oh-pee as they say in France.) The children had some interesting questions after I had told them about all the problems that affect education in the country, and the limited living style I would have. My favourite was "then why are you going?" In my limited French, all I could manage was: "parce qu'ils sont très pauvres" (because they are very poor). The teacher explained in more detail about how I was doing a good thing helping others less fortunate than ourselves (at least that's what I think he was saying!)



On Saturday, the family took me to Étretat (about 50km West of Dieppe). There are some amazing chalk cliff formations with arches, tunnels and spires about 80m high. If you're ever over that way, it's worth going to see. In the evening I had a huge bowl of Moules (Mussels)!


On Sunday, I was guided around Rouen where there are some great old buildings and cathedrals. Finally on Monday I made my way back to Calais for the ferry via Berck-sur-Mer (a walk along a huge sandy beach, a crêpe and waffle lunch) and Montrieul-sur-Mer, a walled city I have been to before (including with my class in March.)


It's taking a while for me to stop thinking some words in French now. It was good practise comunicating in a different language with hand-signs etc, ready for Ethiopia. Also, it was very interesting explaining some aspects of my language. You really notice things you normally take for granted, for example: have you noticed the expression you put in "what's your name?" - the "name" is lower at the end. Then what happens when you ask the next person? You drop on "your" - weird huh!

No comments: