Sunday 30 September 2007

Sunday 30th September 2007

Today we had a late start which meant a lie in! Then it was language
training – recapping yesterday. I wasn't too bad as I had made up some
visual ways of remembering the numbers, for instance "thirty" in
Amharic sounds like "so-laster" so I pictured a needle and thread
sewing a plaster with 30 on it. Then we learnt lots of new
greetings and hit overload when we had to learn the male, female,
plural and formal endings!!!

In the afternoon we went to a town 25km South of where we are staying.
We walked through loads of people who didn't give us any hassle, maybe
because we were in a big group. Then we walked up to a volcano-crater
lake and loads of children followed us. Again, they were just being
friendly. Some spoke English and talked. I practised my Amharic
numbers on them and took photos, then showed them pictures of
themselves on my camera. Finally, we went to a hotel and had a Coke. I
don't think they do diet coke out here - certainly not citrus diet
coke. It cost 5 birr (about 25p)

The traffic was really bad on the way back, and I don't think people
stay in lanes on the road, there seemed to be cars, buses and trucks
passing on all sides, including the grass, hooting etc.

Tonight there are hundreds of mosquitoes and midges around – maybe
because unlike the other days it didn't rain heavily this afternoon.
At least they're not like Scottish midges with their vicious bites.

No comments: