Thursday 15 May 2008

Free sky fireworks


Got another water delivery today – but this time I took my buckets to a collection point. The power had been off for 67 hours straight when it flickered to life at 1800. Then it went off again 10 minutes later. Then it was on and off until about 2000 when it went again and there was the most amazing lightning storm I had ever seen. As I walked back from the college (I had stayed late to charge things and use the net) the lightning was flashing constantly all around. It must’ve been a long way away, or (and I’m not sure about the physics of this) so high that the air is thinner and doesn’t make as loud a “bang” when it expands, as it was pretty quiet, with only the odd rumble. One part of the sky lit up, followed immediately by the opposite side. Flash, flash, flash. The lightning was fanning out across the sky in trails… Amazing.


Anyway, after cooking some noodles on my wax burner in a mosquito infested kitchen, the power finally came on around 22:00 and I quickly put some water on to boil as my water filter is almost empty and it would’ve taken ages to boil anything but a small quantity of water on my wax burner.


Graduation photos


I’ve now taken about 80 photos of the students for the Graduate Souvenir Magazine which will be published at the end of term. It took a while as the college only has one mortar-board hat and gown, and I had to wait while it was swapped from one student to the next.


Addis


I’m off to Bahir Dar on Saturday +/- 2 days!!! And fly to Addis Ababa on Sunday. I may not have easy internet access so may not update this until I get back.


No comments: