Sunday 25 May 2008

Quick update from Addis Ababa

Sun 18 - Flew to Addis, met up with volunteers - overwhelmed by all
the ferengi (white) faces and repeating my news over and over again.

Mon 19 - School cluster workshop - I did my presentation about what I
am doing in Gigel including photos and video clips and it went well.

Tue 20 - More cluster workshop - nice lunch!

Wed 21 - Went shopping with Kev (the man who buys and sends food to me sometimes) - looking at flights home for the summer etc.

Thu 22 - HIV/AIDS workshop - some a bit dry, but some useful info
about bringing this more to the front in college "mainstreaming" it.
This may involve me doing a condom on a banana demo in October!!

Fri 23 - After a security meeting at VSO (see below) went shopping on
Bole road and managed to (at last) get some decent speakers for my MP3 player. I also found an SD card for 1800 ETB (about £70) which at home
would be £10 so left it! Also found a coffee shop like Starbucks and
even had hazelnut icecream - Addis is soooo different to Gigel, apart
from the open sewers and beggars you feel like you're at home!

Sat 24 - More shopping and eating in a place called "Piazza." There
was no power (the blackouts are rotated around the areas and many
shops now have generators on the pavement outside.)

Sun 25 - Nice omelette sandwich and chocolate donut for breakfast. And
now it's now.

I have eaten a variety of burgers and pizzas, tiramisu, cakes,
doughnuts and sweets while I've been here... yum! I also, for the
first time in 8 months, found a can of Diet Coke!!!

When I first arrived at the hotel, my shower was plugged into a bare
socket on the wall (no plastic blanking plate) and at some point in
the insertion process some wires touched and blew the circuit breakers
on the floor of the hotel. The guy did come and fix it, by buying a
new socket, really quickly though.

There is trouble building up in Assosa (the regional capital of
Benishangul Gumuz, but about 400km by air from me and a more like
700km by road so I'm safe) All the Assosa people have been evacuated
here to Addis and are waiting to see if they can go back next week.
It's really just the extra cautious approach of VSO, but on the good
side, it means some of the Assosa ICT people might come to Gilgel for a
week to sort out the computers while they wait to see when they can go
back home.

That's it for now, from the VSO office.

No comments: