Sunday 6 July 2008

Last entry from Ethiopia

If all goes well, tomorrow I will be on a flight back to the UK for a summer "holiday", before returning to Ethiopia in September.

I had a relaxing time in Bahir Dar, and then things started going downhill when I got a call on Friday to say my 1:30pm flight was delayed until 3.00pm. I got to the airport in plenty of time and we were actually on the plane at 2:30pm. The engines started and all was going well until the port engine cut out and a while later the pilot informed us there was a slight technical problem. I got a little worried when an old guy with a "garden-shed"-type toolbox walked across to us. After sitting on a hot plane (no engines, so no air) for about 45mins they announced that we had to get off and go back to the terminal. They didn't give us much more information, but it seemed like there was a plane flying up from Addis Ababa which could take us back.

The grey clouds gathering in the sky were a bit foreboding and my hopes faded as 5pm passed and it started a heavy downpour with lightning. Finally, at around 6pm they told us the flight was cancelled, but we would be put up at the Papyrus Hotel with free food. I could've gone back to Judith's, but it would've been more complicated with the transport and it was all going to be free anyway so I went for the hotel option. I had a nice fried fish, then went to my room to read (by torchlight as there was no power) and had an early night.

We were told that the bus would take us to the airport at 5:45am, so I was ready, but it eventually left at 6:15am. Then it was back at the airport, sitting around until finally we left around 8am. I got to my hotel in Addis around 9.45am and spent the day just going with the flow including visiting the museum with "Lucy" in it – the oldest discovered human who was found in Ethiopia, and eating an expensive cheese sandwich in "The Sheriton" hotel (£150 per night) while listening to someone play the piano in luxurious surroundings.

My next entry should be made using a broadband wireless connection in the UK!

No comments: