Thursday 17 July 2008

Robin Hood and Yorkshire

School play

Yesterday I saw my old school play, "Robin Hood". I really enjoyed it, the sound when all the children were singing was excellent. It was also good, for the first time, to be able to sit back, relax and watch it without having to take photos, video, conduct, manage children etc. Oh, and I won the interval raffle and got a big box of chocolates - my first in 10 months!!!

Things I have noticed here in the UK:

It’s really nice being able to walk around here without looking at the floor all the time, like in Gilgel, where you’d trip over a rock or uneven surface if you did that. The smooth pavements are great!

It’s also so quiet. In Gilgel, you always have very loud insect / frog etc noise at night, and here there is nothing.

Things that have changed about me:

I did accidentally start to say "Amisaginalo" (thank you) to someone who brought me a coffee the other day and I have the urge to ask "sint now?" (How much is it?) in shops.

When I meet people, even people I don't know that well, I also want to shake their hands or hug them, like everyone does in Ethiopia.

Other than that, it really has been easy settling back down in the UK. I wonder if it will be as easy going back???

Yorkshire

Well, later today I’m off to my old university city, York, to walk the wall and stay the night, then to Scarborough for a few days. I love walking around there with the high peninsular with a castle on it, and, of course, the sea. Also, Whitby is near, and I might visit there.

No comments: