Monday 8 September 2008

Back in Ethiopia

I had a great last day with my family yesterday. Everything was packed the night before, so we went to Eastbourne, had a walk (my last sight of the sea for about a year!) and meal. We got to the airport around 1800 and my flight, which was due to leave at 21:15.left at 22:00. Some of the reason for this was that the plane was a good 5-10min bus journey away from the gate, there was only one bus and it had to go back and pick up more people.

The plane seemed quite empty, but filled right up when we stopped in Rome. So much so, that some people’s carry-on luggage had to go in the hold. It was a bit chaotic and I thought there might be people on trying to sell us oranges, or knocking on the window to sell bananas like the buses in Ethiopia!

What with the landing in Rome, and the crew turning the lights on for breakfast at around 0400 (0600 in Ethiopia) I didn’t get much sleep.

We landed on time (about 08:45 Ethopia time (GMT +3, so 2 hours ahead at the moment)), and it was very easy getting through immigration, and customs just waved me through without x-raying my bags and needing information on all my electronic goods.

I got a taxi for 50 birr (they started at 70) and was at the Yonas Hotel by around 10:00. Then I crashed out for about 4 hours sleeping on and off.

Finally, feeling a little breathless (I’m at around 2400m altitude again) I have come to the VSO office, met a few people and wrote this blog entry!

The weather is just like the UK at the moment. The temperature feels about the same, and the skies are overcast and it keeps raining!

So far I have switched back into Ethiopia mode quite easily. Obviously it is a lot easier this time as I know my way around and seeing lots of goats in the street isn’t unusual.

No comments: