Tuesday 9 September 2008

Day 02

It was funny on a food bill last night when the date was 03/13/2000. It’s Pagme, month 13 here at the moment. Ethiopia has 12 months of 30 days, and a catch-up month at the end which is 5 or 6 days depending on whether it is a leap year. New Year’s Day is only 2 days away!

I bought more gadgets with me this time: one of them is a plug-in mains monitor. It shows various things, like power usage, but also voltage. I wanted to see how stable it is here. At the moment it is showing 188V and a few minutes ago it was 197V. 15 minutes later: Now it’s up to 209V! Not quite like the UK where they have special generators which they can power up to cope with all the kettles turning on after Eastenders. (It’s 22:20 now, I guess some people have gone to bed and have turned their lights off as it is now 218V.)

I still feel a bit tired from the flight (although I slept well last night) and dizzy from the altitude.

I’ve had a meeting at VSO and contacted the college. I think I will be flying to Bahir Dar at the weekend, then returning to Gilgel next week.

No comments: